I came across an article on BuzzFeed with some easy tips on how to look effortlessly polished.
I thought I would add a few of my own in as well.
And you know what they say…if you write it down, you are affirming it to yourself and are more likely to stick to it. So, here’s to smoother skin and easier beauty routines!
1. Press a serum onto your face at night before you moisturise
(I am dying to try SK-II Facial Treatment Essence. It’s supposed to be the ‘holy grail’ of skin care, but is also quite pricey. It’s on my list of items to buy this month!)
2. Use a matte primer.
This is a big one for me. I get up at 5am to workout before I have to quickly have a shower and throw on my makeup and outfit for the day and rush for the train. I spend 2 hours a day commuting in the harsh train air-conditioning plus 8 hours working in an office with over-used air conditioning as well. Needless to say, my skin gets a workout and my makeup needs to stay on for at least 11 hours until I’m home! I have rosacea so I have found the NYX matte primer and also NYX matte setting mist awesome!
3. Apply concealer under your eyes and in the creases of your nose.
Like I said, I have rosacea so I need a little bit of concealer sometimes. OVER THE TOP OF YOUR FOUNDATION!
4. Use a translucent powder.
If you really need your makeup to set for the day, sweep over a translucent powder once you have done your foundation and concealer. I use a large Napoleon fluffy brush and Australis translucent powder (which lasts foreverrrr!) I also tap it onto my skin rather than ‘brushing’ so it sets properly.
4. Swap foundation for a CC or BB cream.
When possible, if you don’t need as much coverage (or at least on the weekends so you can let your skin breathe) these creams help to fight against un-even skin tone, blemishes, dry skin and fine lines. I have the Rimmel matte BB cream and I love it! It’s just like a tinted moisturiser, only better! Or, go one better and opt for an organic & vegan tinted mousturiser.
5. Apply a neutral nail colour.
It makes hands seem ‘daintier’ and finished.
6. Fill in your brows!
I can not stress this enough, it really finishes off your makeup look. I’m lucky and have never really had to even shape my brows, but a thin swipe of colour and a quick brush really can shape your whole face!
7. For a super easy eyeshadow look, use 2-3 natural/taupe shades blended with a tapered blending brush into the crease.
My all-time favourite beauty blogger is Lauren Curtis and she really has this down pat in her ‘Prom Makeup Tutorial‘. I have this down to a minute in my beauty routine (obviously not as precise and detailed as her) but it amps up any makeup look quickly!
8. Continue blending the above makeup look slightly under the bottom lashes for an easy ‘smokey eye’
9. Have a spare 2 minutes? Curl the front 10cm of each side of your hair outwards spray with hair spray and then flip your head upside down and run your fingers through the curls. It literally takes 2 minutes and will shape your face nicely with a soft ‘Victorias Secret’ wave that’s not too over-the-top.
10. Always carry a sheer lipstick in your bag.
It can brighten up ANY outfit. And sheer is more subtle, for those days you want to dress up casual shorts and a loose tee. My favourites are Essence from Priceline (yes, it’s only like $3!) colour 44 ‘Almost Famous’ is my go-to.
– Image from another one of my favourite bloggers, Notes By Nicola 🙂