Ahh January…the month that we set our New Years Resolutions, or as I prefer to call them, intentions and goals for the year.
It’s nearly the third week of January, and I want to ask you a question…how are your resolutions going? Have you stuck to them? Have you even started on them?
Now for a bigger question…why? What excuses have you been giving yourself in the last 12 days that have your mind convinced that you will ‘get to it tomorrow’? Let’s be honest. If you haven’t stuck to them for 12 days, do you really intend on sticking to them for the whole year?
I know a lot of people don’t like the idea of New Year’s resolutions, and I get that…they come with a bad wrap. It’s just an ‘idea that people don’t stick to for more than a month or 2 and then they re-set them the next year again’. Me on the other hand, I love them. I love goals and I love a challenge.
The main reason you don’t stick to your goals is because you haven’t gotten to the REAL reason you actually want to achieve this certain thing. You need to ask yourself why. Why is this a goal of yours? What will it bring you? When you have achieved this, how will you feel?
Connect to those real reasons rather than just the surface level.
The second reason is because you don’t prioritise yourself highly enough. I’m just going to be blunt here…if you don’t prioritise yourself and your goals, who else is going to?
How are you going to feel when it’s the start of next year and you realise you haven’t actioned your goals anywhere near as much as you wanted to? You’re still plodding along, and you’re left feeling a little disappointed?
Remember, it’s not about time management, it’s about priority management.
How far down are you on your own priority list and how can you start to change that so that you are empowered? You are important. And if you don’t make yourself feel important, you can’t rely on anyone else to.
- Write out your list of priorities EVERY day. It will help to keep you motivated and on track (and scrolling social media less
- Download the Swiper app – it’s a game changer for daily goal setting, and gives you a little celebration noise when you swipe a goal off your list!
- MAKE YOURSELF A PRIORITY.
- Start to get comfortable with saying NO to things. Realise that you don’t have to say yes to everything. It’s leading you to feel overwhelmed and burnt out. How are you going to achieve your goals for the year if you have no energy left from pleasing everyone else?
- Make self care a HELL YEAH at least once a week. Whatever that looks like to you, give yourself that time to rest, relax and feel refreshed.